This recipe comes from my dear internet friend TMae from Life Version 2.0. We are basically pop culture twins who happen to live on opposite coasts with a friendship forged in the melancholy waters of Depeche Mode fandom. But, there is one noticeable difference, I can not stand shrimp. She, however, loves the shrimpy little guys. We are lucky and she shared this recipe with us.
Spicy Shrimp and Noodle Soup
1lb uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp. Tails reserved. (Choose medium or large shrimp depending on your preference.)
5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch fresh, peeled ginger, slice two 1/4inch disks and finely chop remaining 1/2 inch
1/2 tsp sambal oelek, or chili garlic sauce
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
32oz low sodium chicken broth
6oz Soba noodles (the package I buy them in has 3 bundles, I use 2)
Oil for cooking shrimp
2 limes (1 lime zested and juiced, 1 lime cut in to wedges)
- In medium saucepan bring chicken broth to a boil. Add shrimp tails, and 2 1/4 disks of ginger and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the solids from the chicken broth and set aside.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with oil. Add garlic, and chopped ginger: cook for a minute. Add shrimp: cook until mostly pink (about 3 minutes). Add sambal oelek or garlic chili sauce and continue cooking until shrimp are cooked through.
- Return broth to boil and cook soba noodles until al dente: about 4 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, lime juice and zest to shrimp and toss. Reduce heat to low, add cilantro and toss until wilted.
- Divide broth and noodles among 4 bowls. Top with shrimp mixture, garnish with lime wedges and enjoy!
Additions / Substitutions
Extra firm, well drained tofu for shrimp, or in addition to shrimp.
Extra garlic, and ginger.
Cayenne pepper for sambal oelek
Rice or udon noodles for soba
Top with crispy fried shallots