I am just delighted to present our first featured blogger! Joni Rae blogs over at Kitchen Witch and I really recommend following her on the twitters (@kitchenwitch). She is a home schooling, pagan mama to 4 adorable kids and she posts a wide variety of recipes on the weekends. They look so good I frequently have to wipe a smidge of drool out of the corner of my mouth. This is her grandmother’s soup and she is sharing her recipe that originally appeared on her website with us. Enjoy!
Portuguese Kale Soup (Caldo Verde)
1 clove of garlic, whole
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
4 potatoes, chopped
1 whole chicken
2 links of chourico
1 bunch of kale or collard greens, washed and torn into palm sized pieces
3/4 cup of orzo
1 cup of red kidney beans (cooked)
salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large stock pot 3/4 with water.
- Add the clove of garlic, carrot, onion, chicken and chourico, salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium-high for 90 minutes or so, until chicken is falling off the
- Remove chicken and chourico, set aside.
- Add the potatoes.
- Cook until water reduces a bit and the potatoes are softened and then add
the kale and beans.
- Shred the chicken and slice the chourico, add back to the pot.
- Add in the the orzo, cook another ten minutes
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Thanks for sharing your recipe with us and a special thanks to Jody for helping me get the featured bloggers up and running!