My mom used to make this all the time. Paired with store-bought frozen egg rolls it makes a fantastic light dinner or a delicious lunch. It would also be great paired with chinese chicken salad. It is a little light to be served on its own for dinner. It really does taste better when store-bought non-low sodium is used. If you must use something else, you might need to add some salt in addition to the soy sauce.
Egg Drop Soup
2 quarts store bought chicken stock (not low sodium)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
about 1 inch of fresh ginger, cut into 4 pieces
1 large egg
sliced green onion to garnish, if desired
- In a soup pot or sauce pan, bring chicken stock to a simmer.
- Add ginger pieces and simmer for about 15-20 minutes
- While this is simmering, whisk egg and soy sauce together in a small bowl or 1 cup measuring cup
- Remove ginger from stock and turn off the heat.
- While whisking constantly, pour the egg mixture in to the stock in a steady stream.
- Ladle in to bowls and sprinkle with green onions, if desired.