We had a mild snafu in our house this Christmas and our planned dinner had to be postponed until Boxing Day. Every shop in town was closed for the holiday (as they should be!) so we had to rely solely on what was in the fridge and pantry. We eat a lot of pasta with pesto in our house because my husband and daughter love it to bits. However, I get a little tired of it. I had the ingredients in my fridge to make the beloved pasta but wanted something a little different. Thus, this soup was born.
We enjoyed this soup with a green salad tossed in farmhouse dressing.
Spicy Ravioli Soup with Pesto
4 c chicken or vegetable stock
3 c water
1 T soy sauce
1/2 -1 t red pepper flakes, depending on your taste
juice of a small lemon
3 sprigs of thyme
salt, to taste
2 carrots, diced
1 package of fresh raviolis, I used asparagus parmesan ravioli
green onions, for garnish, if desired
- Bring stock and water to a simmer in soup pot.
- Add thyme, soy sauce, lemon juice and pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 5 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Taste and add salt and more pepper flakes, if necessary.
- Add carrots and simmer until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add ravioli to pot and cook for 7-10 minutes, or just until ravioli are al dente. You don’t want them to become soft and mushy.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a generous dollop of prepared pesto.
- Serve immediately.